2018 NOAA Hurricane Predictions & Steps to Do For Be Ready

2018 NOAA Hurricane Predictions & What You Can Do To Prepare

October 9, 2023

The good news is that NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center has predicted a near- or above-normal 2018 Atlantic hurricane season. This means a 35 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 40 percent chance of a near-normal season, and a 25 percent chance of a below-normal season for the upcoming hurricane season.

With new advances in prediction technology, we can be more confident than ever before that these estimations are accurate, which is a wonderful development considering the devastation of the 2017 hurricane season.

But as always, preparedness is the most important thing you can do to get ready for hurricane season. Here are some of our top tips for preparing for dangerous weather conditions.

Gather info

Well in advance of a storm, take some time to get the information you might need in case of an emergency. Do you live in potential evacuation areas? Take time to do a risk check on your property and its vulnerability to storms and floods. Check with your local government and learn the evacuation routes if your home is in an area where flooding is a high risk; having an offline copy of this route is important in case of power outages.

Make a plan

Once you have all your info, sit down and plan your emergency plan. From evacuation routes to storm shelter locations and supply info, communicate your plans with your family. Make sure everyone knows what they’ll do in case of an emergency, and especially where to find important supplies in case you’re not at home. This includes plans for any pets!

Have an emergency kit

A basic emergency kit is a must-have for anyone, but if you live in an area impacted by hurricanes, it’s especially important. Basic supplies include: water (one gallon per person per day), non-perishable foods, flashlights, a battery or hand crank radio, batteries, first aid supplies, a 7-day supply of medications, extra cash, copies of personal documents, and hygiene items. Check on the dates of products every year and remove anything expired.

Review your insurance

It’s a good idea to check that your insurance policy covers the full cost of damages to your home during a hurricane or flood. Be sure that the house is insured for the value of the cost of the rebuild, not just the value of the home, and refresh yourself on the fine print of your contract. Many people have storm damage protection but not insurance against the floods that follow the storm, which can be much more damaging.

Take a home inventory

Take a quick tally of your home’s belongings so you have a quick reference for what you might need to replace in event of a disaster. There are free apps that assist with home inventories, and you only need to document high-value items that you would file a claim for after a storm.

Remember that although the seasonal outlook can estimate the potential form storms, it can’t forecast where or when the storms will occur. This means that everyone has a responsibility to prepare for emergency events. Luckily, planning ahead makes it easy!

Our experienced team is always ready to assist you and protect your legal rights during this challenging time. Contact Barzakay Law Firm.

Contact Us

Primary Contact Form

Practice Areas

Recent Articles

Insurance Adjusters and Settlements: Dos and Don’ts After a Car Crash

Our personal injury attorney is here, ready to fight for you! Imagine this: you've just been...
Scroll to Top